|Paul Barter Publication List|
- Barter, P. A. Off-street parking policy surprises in Asian cities. J. Cities (2011), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2011.06.007
- Barter, Paul A, "Parking Policy in Asian Cities" (A consultant’s report for the Asian Development Bank). Preprint.
- Barter, Paul A, "Off-Street Parking Policy without Parking Requirements: A Need for Market Fostering and Regulation", Transport Reviews, Volume 30, Issue 5 September 2010 , pages 571 – 588, available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01441640903216958
- Barter, P. (2008). Public planning with business delivery of excellent urban public transport. Policy and Society, 27(2), 103–114. [Publisher website]
- Barter, P.A. (2006) Multiple dimensions in negotiating the cross-border transport links that connect and divide Singapore and Johor, Malaysia, Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 47 (2) (August), 287-303. [Publisher website]
- Barter, P.A. (2005) A vehicle quota integrated with road usage pricing: a mechanism to ease the phase-out of high fixed vehicle taxes in Singapore, Transport Policy, 12 (6), 525-536. [Publisher website]
- Barter, P.A. (2004) Transport, Urban Structure and Lock-in in the Kuala Lumpur Metropolitan Area, International Development Planning Review, 26 (1), 1-24. [Publisher website]
- Barter, P.A. (2002) Transport and Housing Security in the Klang Valley, Malaysia, Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 23 (3): 268-287 (special edition on evictions in the tropics).
- Bunnell, T., Barter, P.A. and Morshidi Sirat (2002) ‘Kuala Lumpur Metropolitan Area: A globalising city-region’, Cities, 19 (5):357-370.
- Barter, P.A. (2000) Urban Transport in Asia: Problems and Prospects for High-Density Cities, Asia-Pacific Development Monitor, 2, 1, 33-66.
- Barter, Paul A. (1999) Transport and Urban Poverty in Asia: A Brief Introduction to the Key Issues, Regional Development Dialogue, 20, 1, 143-163.
- Barter, P.A. (2011) Parking Policy in Asian Cities. Asian Development Bank (ADB), Manila. Available in hard copy or on-line via http://beta.adb.org/publications/parking-policy-asian-cities ISBN: 978-92-9092-241-4 (print), 978-92-9092-3527 (web).
- Barter, Paul (2008) ‘Singapore’s Urban Transport: Sustainability by Design or Necessity?’ in Wong, Tai-Chee; Yuen, Belinda; Goldblum, Charles (Eds.) ‘Spatial Planning for a Sustainable Singapore’ Springer, Dordrecht, pp. 95-114. [Publisher website]
- Barter, P.A. (2006) “‘Central’ Singapore Island, ‘Peripheral’ Mainland Johor: making the link”, in Baldacchino, G. (ed.) Bridging Islands: The Impact of Fixed Links (Charlottetown: Acorn Press).[Publisher website]
- Barter, Paul (2003) Southeast Asian Urban Transport: a Kaleidoscope of Challenges and Choices, in Whitelegg, J. and Haq, G. (eds.) Earthscan Reader on World Transport Policy and Practice, pp. 53-60 (London: Earthscan, Feb. 2003).
- Barter, P., Kenworthy, J. and Laube, F. (2003) Lessons from Asia on Sustainable Urban Transport, in Low, N.P. and Gleeson, B.J. (eds.) Making Urban Transport Sustainable, pp.252-270(Basingstoke UK: Palgrave-Macmillan).
- Barter, Paul (2000) Transport Dilemmas in Dense Urban Areas: Examples from Eastern Asia, in Jenks, M. and Burgess, R. (eds.), Compact Cities: Sustainable Urban Forms for Developing Countries, pp. 271-284 (London: Spon Press).
- ‘The Status of Bicycles in Singapore’, Report prepared June 2008 for the ‘Position paper on cycling in Asia’ project coordinated by the Interface for Cycling Expertise (I-CE) and the Transportation Research and Injury Prevention Program (TRIPP), IIT, Delhi under the aegis of the Bicycle Partnership Program of I-CE and the Sustainable Urban Mobility in Asia (SUMA) project led by Clean Air Initiative (CAI), Asia.
- Barter, P.A. (2011) Parking Requirements in Some Major Asian Cities, presented to the 90th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, January, 2011 and accepted for publication in Transportation Research Record in 2011.
- Barter, P. (2008) ‘Car Possession as Problematic for Urban Travel Markets’, in Meschik, M. and G. Sammer (eds.) ‘4th International Symposium on Travel Demand Management “Visions, Concepts and Experiences of Travel Demand Management”’, 16-18 July, Vienna-Semmering, Austria. pp. 41-50. [Paper as | Poster as ]
- ‘Planning Meets Competition in Urban Public Transport’, presented to the Conference ‘The Role of the State in Public Service Delivery’ , 27-28 September 2007, at the LKY School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore (later revised as ‘Public Planning with Business Delivery of Excellent Urban Public Transport’ above)
- ‘Collisions at an urban border: land transport policy, border control and cross-border integration between Singapore and Johor, Malaysia’, presented to the NUS Faculty of Arts and Social Science's Centennial Conference, 'Asian Horizons: Cities, States and Societies', 1-3 August, 2005. (later revised and published in Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 47 (2) (August), 287-303)
- ‘Policy Integration for Emissions Reductions from Urban Transport in Asian Cities’, paper presented at the International Workshop on Policy Integration towards Sustainable Energy Use for Asian Cities: integrating local air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions concerns, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, Kanagawa, Japan, 28-30 Jan. 2004. (Paper available via http://www.iges.or.jp/kitakyushu/megacity_workshop/index.htm)
- Invited presentation on ‘Beyond Public Transport as Choice Mode’, to the Singapore Economics Roundtable, organised by the Institute for Policy Studies, Orchard Hotel, Singapore, 28 May 2012.
- Invited (with funding) to present on ‘Pivotal Choices in Parking Policy: International and Asian Approaches’ at the World Metropolitan Transport Development Forum 2012 – Beijing, held at the Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall, 23-24 May 2012.
- Invited presentation ‘Taking Bicycle Seriously as Transport’ for the Tampines Town Hall Forum: Cycling the Way Forward? 8 June 2008 at the Tampines East Community Centre.
- ‘Singapore’s Urban Transport: Sustainability by Design or Necessity?‘ at the 1 Day Conference cum Book Launch – “Spatial Planning for a Sustainable Singapore”, 3 Apr 2008, Singapore Botanic Garden Function Hall, Singapore.
- ‘Vehicle Ownership as a Focus of Transport Policy: Time to Take Another Look?’ at the Asia Business Forum Conference ‘Urban Transportation Conference 2007’ Singapore 8-9 March 2007.
- (with Professor John Whitelegg) ‘Transport Demand Management and its Potential in Asian Cities: Positive Perspectives’, Third International Seminar on Managing the Impact of Vehicles on Urban Air Quality, The International Union of Air Pollution Prevention and Environmental Protection Associations (IUPPA), 3-4 August, 2005, Kogakuin University Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan.
- ‘Measurement does matter but do we measure what really matters? Insights for transport sector indicators efforts from public sector performance measurement literature‘, at the Consultation Workshop on Transport Sector Performance Indicators, 22-24th April 2005, Colombo, Sri Lanka, hosted by the Lanka Forum on Rural Transport Development in collaboration with the Ministry of Transport Sri Lanka and the International Forum for Rural Transport and Development (IFRTD) and sponsored by the World Bank.
- ‘Changing imperatives for land transport in Singapore: challenges and opportunities looking ahead towards 2020’ for the Land Transport Authority (LTA), Singapore Policy review seminar series 15 February 2005.
- ‘Another look at how we define and measure ‘success’ in tackling transport impacts: beyond that “oh so tempting” tailpipe focus’ at the Better Air Quality (BAQ) Conference 2004, Agra, India, 6-8 December 2004.
- ‘The best of both worlds? Integrating the vehicle quota with road usage pricing‘, presentation to the Policy Division, Land Transport Authority, Singapore on 30 June 2004.
- ‘Wanted - An Ambitious Vision for Public Transport’, Opinion Piece for Ethos Magazine (the magazine of the Civil Service College, Singapore), Issue 2 (April) 2007, pp. 50-57. [Publisher website]
- Barter, Paul (2006) Make not owning a car the smart choice, Opinion Piece for the Straits Times, 17 November 2006, p. 41.